Walmart, the famous American multi-national retailer doesn’t need an introduction to anyone, but probably their app / wamart.com needs one 🙂
While everyone is still figuring out their customer journey maps to provide a true omnichannel experience, Walmart seems to be one step ahead of all, leading this space leveraging its great offline assets (physical stores) and growing online presence(walmart.com)
Omnichannel is a jargon for “Seamless shopping experience whether the customer is shopping online from a desktop or mobile device, by telephone or in a bricks and mortar store” 🙂
For many of you who are not aware of Walmart’s online presence, it may be interesting to know that they stand No. 3 in e-retailing in the USA and do business worth ~$15 Billion annually.
Here are things I like about Walmart’s omnichannel experience.
- You can place an order online / app and pick the product from one of the retail stores or get it delivered at home (basics)
- Any product shipped to your home or picked from the store can be returned to any Walmart store and all purchase from online to offline adhere to the standard return policy of 90 days
- You can walk-in to a store and if you like a product but don’t find your sizesimply scan the bar code in your app and look for your size in walmart.com universe to get it shipped to your home right in the store.
- Load your credit card in your app, scan the QR code displayed in POS machine before billing starts and make the bill payment with the card stored in your mobile and do the purchase without taking your wallet to the nearby Walmart store
- The receipt of the offline purchase (along with other online) is in your mobile for your ready reference for an exchange / refund anytime in future and no hassles of searching around for bills to exchange / refund
- Receive store pick-up notifications on online orders as and when the status change from Ordered to “ready for pickup”
- Find out the nearest store in your app, set the one you like as your home store and get to know all info about the store from phone number to operation timings.
It is interesting to see how great technologies are converging to make true CX a reality.
I read in a recent article that Walmart is making a huge CAPEX investments in their offline assets and intend to leverage their true omnichannel experience to beat the number 1, you all aware of…
I would call this as a “Strategy” to build sustainable competitive advantage 🙂
Image Courtesy : http://www.mytotalretail.com/